Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Becoming Intimately Familiar with Chavez International Airport



Arrived on time in Lima. Wish I could say the same for my travel partner. Instead of spending quality time with her friend, Patricia decided to depart from foggy Jackson, Mississippi, where her flight was canceled and rescheduled for half a day later. We have received word, though, that she is in the air and scheduled to arrive in Lima about a couple of hours before our connecting flight to Cusco takes off.


In the meantime, I have:

- Regained circulation in my legs by walking around the airport 3 times.

- Taken stock of all the food court offerings in Chavez, which includes its Dunkin Donuts.

- Remembered I brought turkey sandwiches from home.

- Gone to sleep on the floor in a small commune of overnighting backpackers. Don't worry, Chavez is ranked second in South America by this site, which actually exists.

- Tossed and turned, put on a sleep mask, returned to sleep.

- Been woken up by a member of the cleaning crew, asking me to move. They needed to mop, and had done the entire floor except the spot I was sleeping on. The foreman had even set up cones around me, trying to let me get as much sleep as possible before they moved me. If the airport cleaning crews are this courteous, I have a good feeling about the rest of this trip.


Gotta go search for the Pattywagon. Catch up later.