Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Outdoorsy Tidbits

And for those of you who think I'm not into doing things with my body, try these little events on for size.

I scheduled myself for a 2 day hike of Table Mountain. Unfortunately, it rained, so we cancelled. But apparently there's been some problems up there, so maybe not such a bad choice.

Alexis and I walked to a beach today and hung out with PENGUINS. African penguins, otherwise known as Jackass Penguins (they bray like donkeys, and...they're really loud), are native only to the Cape, and the Table Mountain park association has made a few viewing platforms for tourists. Today, it was mostly us and Italians, Paraguayans, and Mexicans, but we were some of the only ones that found the secret walkway that took you really, really close to them. We played with one hiding under some steps for 15 minutes. They're just as goofy as you imagine -- you'd think evolution would have made it easier for them to live with their bodies, but no. They just keep waddling, bumping, and falling along.

Alexis and I spend nearly a whole DAY outside when we went on a wine tour! Four vineyards, dozens of wines, lunch, and a cheesebar -- plus the company of the most giddy-about-wine tour guide I've ever had. Bruce was on top of his game. He gave us a tour of one of the wineries, and gave us dirty looks whenever we would ask if wine tasted the same in red plastic cups. It also gave us a solid opportunity to get properly...emboldened...for the USA/England game later that night. So all those pictures of Alexis jumping into dance parties with people you've never met, that will be posted sometime very soon??? Thanks, Bruce!

UPDATE: We ARE going on a hike tomorrow morning. So I should hit the sack...otherwise known as my warm, wonderful, comfortable bed, bestowed to us by a wonderful friend-of-a-friend, Sam. Her housekeeper cleaned our clothes earlier today, and there's a pool in the front yard. Like I said, we're rugged.